Welcome India customers to our Global Community, find the help you need and connect with other India QuickBooks users on our dedicated India Community pages.
david100
Level 1

How to Delete QuickBooks Online data and start from scratch

How to Delete QuickBooks Online data and start from scratch

12 Comments
MaryLandT
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, david

Let me walk you through deleting your QuickBooks Online data and start a new one.

You can purge your data if your account aged is less than 60 days. Please keep in mind that this process only works for QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials. The system deletes all data entered into the company, and you're unable to restore or reverse them.

To purge the data, follow the steps listed below:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks Online account.
  2. Change the URL to include /purgecompany.
  3. Example: URL shows https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/homepage, change to: https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/purgecompany.
  4. The next screen will provide a summary of the items to be deleted.
  5. Type the word “YES” once the data gets deleted, then click OK.
  6. Click Wipe Data once your selections are complete.
  7. Once the deletion is complete, you will be rerouted to your home page.

If not, you need to cancel your account, and start a new subscription.

To cancel your account:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company at https://qbo.intuit.com.
  2. Go to the Gear icon at the top.
  3. Go to Your Account, choose Update Credit Card.
  4. In the Subscription Status section, click the Cancel Subscription link.
  5. Follow the on-screen prompts and it'll walk you through the rest of the process.

To start a new account:

1. Go to https://quickbooks.intuit.com/choose-country/.
  2. Fill up the User ID and password.
  3. You can use the same user ID and a password you previously had. If you activated payroll in the account, this is the best option for you.

You can read through this article for additional information: Delete QuickBooks Online data and start from scratch.

That will provide you with information about your concern.

Let me know how everything turns out by leaving a comment below. I'm always around if you need help.

mkiper2
Level 1

Hi David, I have a major problem .

I need to wipe out all this year bank data and enter it again from scratch. due my bank Vystar whick i did not know had my business account statement and my regular checking account statement merged as one, that made a mess in my quickbooks due double entry of transaction, were trying to delete the double transaction become impossible in my short time time available to deal with it can you help me with this i read only allow to delete if 60 days or younger to start from scratch, can you help me with the re start for the whole year?

Marcela Marabelli

Citizen + Plus llc

[email address removed]

MikiD
QuickBooks Team

For accounts older than 60days, you’ll need to cancel them and subscribe to another one, mkiper2.

This is a great workaround to start from scratch if you can no longer delete the data. Below are the steps to do so:

1. Click the Gear icon at the top. 
  2. Select Accounts and Settings and go to Billing and Subscription. 
  3. Locate the subscription and click Cancel. 
  4. Follow the succeeding instructions.      

Check this out for additional information: Delete your data and start over in QuickBooks Online.

Also, you can export some of your list to Excel so you can import them easily to the new company. Take a look at this article for more details: Move your lists to QuickBooks Online.

Stay around if there's anything else you'd like to discuss. 

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 14

@mkiper2 ,

Where are you located? I may share something for your consideration

Tribune
Level 1

Hello,

Once I deactivated my account I am still unable to create a new one with the same login information.

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Tribune.

There are times that the browser keeps outdated Internet files that may cause to unable to create a new QBO account with the same login information.

I suggest logging in your QuickBooks account using an private browser to rule out the possibility of a web page issue. Private browsing doesn't store local files or cache.

Use these keyboard shortcuts based on the browser you're using. 

• For Internet Explorer of Firefox, press Ctrl + Shift + P.

• For Chrome, press Ctrl + Shift + N.

• For Safari, hold down Command + Shift + N.

If it works in incognito, clear the cache of your regular browser. Doing this helps QBO to function more efficiently.

If the steps above will not work, you can use supported browser as alternatives.

May I ask if you received a specific error when creating a new QBO account? so that I can assist you further.

You may refer to this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/global/pricing/ on how to sign up in QuickBooks Online and choose a specific country at the button of the page. 

Please check this article on how to delete your data to start fresh with a new QuickBooks Online company: Delete your data and start over in QuickBooks Online.

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other concerns. Wishing you and your business continued success.

MudithaE
Level 1

After purging we are trying to re sync the data. (Our account is less than 60 days old). However, we found that, it is not allowing us to reconnect saying, "The name supplied already exists. : Another payment method is already using this name. Please use a different name.".

When I try to purge it again, I am getting a message which indicates that some records are still exists.

----------------------------------Message-------------------------------------------------

Are you sure you want to wipe your QuickBooks Online company?

The following data will be deleted:
  • 81 account(s)

Also please note:
  • Once you start wiping this company, there is no undo!
  • When the wipe is complete, you'll be able to start over with new accounts.
  • You have 90 days to wipe a company once it's created; you have 44 day(s) left.

Type "YES" and click OK to proceed

----------------------------------End of Message----------------------------------

Could you please help us with the resolution?
ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, MudithaE.

If you're unable to resync the data after following the steps, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Support team. They can check your account to see the cause of the issue why you're still unable to reconnect your data.

Here's how to contact them:

1. Open your QuickBooks Account.

2. At the top right, click the Help icon.

3. Click Contact Us.

4. Under What can we help you with?, enter your concerns about purging your data.

5. Click Let's Talk.

6. You'll be routed into the Choose a way to connect with us page.

7. Select how you want to contact them and fill in the information.

Please check this article for additional information about deleting your data to start fresh with a new QuickBooks Online company: Delete your data and start over in QuickBooks Online.

You may refer to this article on how to manage your payment and plan info in QBO and to upgrade and downgrade your subscription: Update your billing and subscription info.

Let me know if you have other questions related with QuickBooks. I'm always here to help you.

RusnaBrpakpahan
Level 3

Hi There 

I can share a few pointers about data deletion in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Before I provide situations that apply to you, please keep in mind that the deletion process is irreversible.

If your account has been active for more than 60 days and you need to start from scratch, let’s cancel your account and start a new subscription. Here’s how:

To cancel your account:

1. Log in to your QBO company at https://qbo.intuit.com.
  2. Go to the Gear icon at the top, then select Account and Settings.
  3. Select Billing & Subscription on the left.
  4. Click Cancel to the right of the Subscription status line.
  5. Follow the on-screen prompts and it’ll walk you through the rest of the process.

To start a new account:

1. Go to https://quickbooks.intuit.com/global/.
  2. Choose your country to sign up for a new account.
  3. You can use the same user ID and a password that you did previously if desired.

If your account has been active for less than 60 days and you need to start from scratch, see the steps below:

1. Log in to your QBO company.
  2. Change the URL to include /purgecompany. Example: URL shows https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/homepage, change it to https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/purgecompany.
  3. The next screen will provide a summary of the items to be deleted. Type the word “YES” once the data gets deleted, then select OK.
  4. Select Wipe Data once your selections are complete.

To serve as your guide, you can check out this article: Delete QuickBooks Online Data and Start From Scratch.

Resolution for Issue 'Delete QuickBooks Online data and start from scratch' available: Yes (Solved).
Source: Intuit Community forum.

Delete QuickBooks Online data and start from scratch: this issue or error code is a known issue in Quickbooks Online (QBO) and/or Quickbooks. Support for this issue is available either by self-service or paid support options. Experts are available to resolve your Quickbooks issue to ensure minimal downtime and continue running your business. First try to resolve the issue yourself by looking for a resolution described below. If it is a complex issue or you are unable to solve the issue, you may contact us by clicking here or by using other support options.

Zed Axis
Level 2

Hi David,

I can add another option for you to consider.  If you are only looking to delete a batch of transactions and not the entire file then you could use one of the third party data delete utilities that you can find in the Intuit Apps directory called Zed Axis

You can select the type of transaction you want to delete and the filter for the date range and then run the command to delete the selected from QuickBooks Online

ss_export_del.png

You can try it out for 30 days for free.

MelissaComputerTutor
Level 1

I do not see a CANCEL command when I go to where your instruction takes me. I only see upgrade commands.

Ryan_M
QuickBooks Team

Hi @MelissaComputerTutor,

I'm here to help you out with your concern about canceling a QuickBooks Online (QBO) subscription. 

First, ensure you're logged in as an admin user, then also check if you're in the Billing & Subscription tab. Once you're logged in as an admin user, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Select Account and Settings.
  3. Click the Billing & Subscription tab.
  4. In the QuickBooks section, tap Cancel subscription
  5. Hit Continue to cancel, then press Continue to cancel again to proceed. 
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts. 
  7. Press Submit and cancel subscription.
  8. Click Got it.

See this article for more details on this process: Cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription

In the future, in case you change your mind and reconsider QuickBooks Online for your business, open this article: How to resubscribe or reactivate QuickBooks Online. It has the steps on how you can reactivate your canceled QuickBooks Online subscription. 

Direct other concerns you have in the comments below. I'll be sure to take of it.